Debating whether to hire an independent copywriter or a full-service digital marketing company in Vancouver, Canada?
Well, the short answer is: it depends. And the long answer? I’m going to dive right in.
While these terms may seem interchangeable on the surface (because doesn’t marketing need words? And don’t your words need a marketing strategy?). There are in fact some big differences – from the needs and goals of your project to your overall budget.
What Hiring An Independent Copywriter Can Do For Your Business:
If you want a magnetic brand, you’ll need words and messaging that move and inspire your people. Around here, this starts with what you say and how you say it.
Whether you need a full brand strategy (your market position, tone of voice etc), or a website that converts (plus some SEO blogs and newsletters), a copywriter can help you build a narrative that strategically takes people from A *where they are now* to B *buying your product or service*.
But do I need a copywriter?
When you hire a professional copywriter, you’ll KNOW your brand message and language are being prioritized. So if you’re a brand that cares deeply about engaging/educating your audience, in a tone of voice that represents who you are and what you’re all about, a copywriter is what you’re looking for.
And before you ask, can’t anyone write? The answer is: not everyone can write with the psychology of persuasion, the expertise to evoke emotions while highlighting the benefits, and present it all in one seamless, compelling narrative.
In other words, a copywriter (like me) has trained for years to deliver clear and concise messaging that leaves a lasting impression.
Sound like you?
- You start to mumble if anyone asks you about your USP
- You don’t have a brand story or message you repeat to attract customers
- No one’s hanging out on your website, let alone taking action
- Your headlines leave little to shimmy about
- Neither your service nor product descriptions have received much love
- Email campaigns? Not sent one of those in a while
- Blogging seems like a complete waste of time at this point
If you answered YES, a wordsmith can take the time to understand your brand’s identity, values and goals, and transform these insights into websites, emails, and blogs that tell your story, engage your readers, and get you in front of the right people.
Is Engagement *Really* That Important?
Would you prefer passive readers or active participants? That’s the difference between mediocre copy and copy that sells. Because when your words and messaging reach and resonate with the right people, it turns them into repeat buyers and loyal advocates for your brand. And that’s the magic copywriters bring to the table – a talent for forging connections and nurturing relationships through the power of words:
- Giving your brand a purpose by developing who you are, what you stand for, and how you show up online.
- Using the art of persuasion with language that motivates and inspires action.
- Customizing content for various platforms – ensuring consistency and relevance.
- Creating copy and content that excites, builds lasting connections, and converts into customers.
What Hiring A Digital Marketing Company in Vancouver, Canada, Can Do For Your Business:
Whereas a copywriter’s main focus is on the words and messaging of your business, digital marketing companies take a more multifaceted approach and offer a broad range of services. This can include:
Search Engine Optimization (SEO):
Whereas copywriters focus on your website’s organic, on-page SEO, a digital marketing agency will also focus on off-page SEO too like backlinks, getting you listed in local directories, guest blogs, and your website’s overall domain authority.
Pay-Per-Click (PPC) Advertising:
Digital marketing companies tend to have a much larger team, which also includes PPC specialists (pay-per-click). This means they’ll be able to create and manage targeted ad campaigns on platforms like Google Ads and social media. The only downside? It can get very pricey, very quickly. So you need to make sure you have the budget to see results.
Social Media Management:
Many digital marketing companies also offer full social media management, from photography and graphics to writing your captions and hashtag research. Although some copywriters do also offer this service, here at My Networks the focus is solely on websites and sales pages, brand strategy, blogs, and emails.
Do I need a Digital Marketing Company?
If you have a large budget and want to focus on multiple aspects of marketing from paid ads and social media to video production, web design and PR – then you’ll want to go for a digital marketing company with a large team and a range of skills. Because like I tell my clients – there are MANY ways to market your business. And you need to decide which channels you want to focus on to get the word out.
Choosing the Right Path for Your Business
The choice between hiring a copywriter or a digital marketing company in Vancouver ultimately depends on your specific business objectives and needs.
When to Choose a Copywriter:
- When you put pen to paper (or fingers to laptop) you’re either writing too much or you don’t know where to start. But what you do know is that you REALLY need to create some can’t-ignore copy pronto to grow your brand.
- You’re embarrassed to share your website because you know it needs work. You’re ready to establish your brand’s voice, storytelling, and overall messaging so you can lead with confidence.
- You don’t understand SEO and want to start implementing the must-have basics.
- The project you need is a short-term one. Meaning it’s not 18 months worth of work. You just need to launch your website or a new product, run a promotion, write some blogs, or send a series of emails *like yesterday*.
- You have the foundations for a piece of copy, but you need some support like editing or just a second pair of eyes for some reliable feedback.
- You don’t have time to write, and you also don’t have anyone else on your team who can do it for you.
When to Choose a Digital Marketing Company:
- You’re ready to GO BIG and invest in 12+ months of digital marketing help to scale your business. This includes SEO and PPC to social media management and email marketing.
- You don’t have a marketing team and don’t have the time or know-how to do ALL the things you’re ready to do.
- You don’t want to be involved in every process. You need a digital marketing company who can turn your ideas/goals into a number of different campaigns without a lot of input.
- You want to see all your results presented in data at the end of each month.
Conclusion: Copywriter Vs Digital Marketing Company
Whether you want to hire someone located in Vancouver (like me), New York, London – it doesn’t matter. What matters is your objectives, resources, and the channels you want to conquer.
When you hire an independent copywriter, you’re choosing the services of a skilled wordsmith who can breathe life into your brand’s messaging, creating content that engages and persuades. It’s a choice that values the art of storytelling and the power of words for sustainable business growth.
On the other hand, partnering with a digital marketing company opens the door to rapid growth. It’s a choice that embraces the complexity of the digital landscape, with a focus on larger-scale results and maximizing your online presence. For this, you have an allocated budget ready to go.
Whatever you decide, both services are able to position your brand for growth, engagement, and sustainable success. The choice is yours!
…And if you think a copywriter is just what you’re looking for, get in touch today!